Cold Chamber Die Casting
Cold chamber die casting is the preferred manufacturing process for metals that maintain high melting points. Typically, these metals include aluminum alloys, zinc alloys, brass, and copper. The requirements for cold chamber die casting include an outside furnace and a ladle to pour the molten metal. Cold chamber die casting methods are known for producing denser metal castings.
Choose SKS for Your State-Of-The-Art Cold Chamber Die Casting Service Needs
Combining complete in-house design/engineering and tool/die operations, SKS uses the most technologically advanced die casting and machining equipment available. With over 75 years of die casting experience and a 100,000 square-foot manufacturing and production area, SKS Die Casting is your trusted source for state-of-the-art cold chamber die casting services.
The Cold Chamber Die Casting Process
Cold chamber die casting is ideal for metals with high melting points and corrosive properties. Compared to hot chamber die casting, cold chamber die casting solves the corrosion problem by separating the melt pot from the injector components. The process begins when molten metal is ladled from the furnace into the shot chamber through a pouring hole. Next, the plunger forces metal through the shot chamber into the die at pressures ranging from 2,000 and 20,000 psi.
Cold Chamber vs Hot Chamber Die Casting
With cold-chamber die casting, metal is first heated to achieve a molten state in a separate furnace. The molten metal is then transported to the casting machine and fed into the machine’s chamber. The machine uses a pressurized plunger to force the molten metal into the mold cavity. This separated process directly differentiates cold chamber die casting from hot chamber casting.
Cold Chamber Die Casting Advantages
Cold chamber die casting is a practical, cost-effective process that can create a broad range of shapes and components compared to other manufacturing processes. The cold chamber die casting process can create parts with long service life and may be designed to complement the visual appeal of the surrounding part. Some of the direct benefits that the cold chamber die casting process provides include:
- Increased Strength & Weight – Cold chamber die-cast parts are more substantial than plastic injection moldings having the exact dimensions. Thin wall castings are more robust and lighter than those possible with other casting methods. Plus, because die castings do not consist of separate parts welded or fastened together, the strength is that of the alloy rather than the joining process.
- Dimensional Accuracy & Stability – This process produces durable and dimensionally stable parts while maintaining close tolerances and heat resistance.
- High-Speed Production – The cold chamber process provides complex shapes within closer tolerances than many other mass production processes. Little or no machining is required, and thousands of identical castings can be produced before additional tooling is required.
- Simplified Assembly – Cold chamber die castings provide integral fastening elements, such as bosses and studs. Holes can be cored and made to tap drill sizes, or external threads can be cast.
- Multiple Finishing Techniques – Cold chambered parts can be produced with smooth or textured surface finishes, easily plated or finished with a minimum of surface preparation.
Cold Chamber Die Casting Machines
SKS utilizes only the most current and technologically advanced die casting machines and equipment to produce high-quality parts. Our cold chamber die casting machine options include:
- Prince 450 T-SF Cold Chamber Die Casting Machine
- Lester Model HP-700 T-SF Cold Chamber Machine
- Lester Model HP-800 T-SF Cold Chamber Machine
- Prince 600 X-SF Cold Chamber Die Casting Machine
- Prince 450 T Cold Chamber Die Casting Machine
- HBM 1000 T Cold Chamber Die Casting Machine
Assembly & Installation Services
For projects with specific assembly and installation needs, SKS Die Casting works closely with customers to explore assembly and installation solutions. SKS can help with such requests as:
- Cast into the components drawing specified pins.
- Implement machined external threads on casting bosses.
- Cast holes to the dimension of drill size for internal threads.
- Install pins and/or helicoil inserts after machining.
Discover the SKS Cold Chamber Die Casting Difference
At SKS, each component that we manufacture is custom designed and engineered to our customer’s exact specifications. The production volume for each piece we manufacture can vary from several hundred to several hundred thousand parts.