Thin Wall Die Casting for Aluminum
The advantages of Thin Wall Die Casting:
- Net shape part configuration is achievable.
- High dimensional accuracy is achievable.
- Fast production.
- Thinner walls are achievable when compared to investment casting.
- Wide range of possible shapes.
- External threads can be casted.
- Holes can be cored to internal tap drill size.
The disadvantages of Thin Wall Die Casting:
- A relatively large production volume is required to make the process cost effective. (However, SKS would work with customers ways to mitigate this short coming.)
- High initial cost (tool, set up).
- Minimum wall thickness: 0.040" for small parts.
- Maximum wall thickness: 0.200". In some cases acceptable up to 0.50".
- Draft radii and fillets required on the casting.
- Potential porosity issue.