High Pressure Die Casting Molds Provide Superior Repeatability
Die casting molds from SKS Die Casting and Machining utilize aluminum alloys and zinc alloys to produce small to large run part identical castings for your manufacturing needs. Die cast mold development is a versatile process that enables the production of a large quantity of small to medium-size castings.
Contact us for more information regarding die cast molds manufacturing processes or call us at 510-523-2541 and we will be happy to assist you with any questions that you may have regarding die cast molds and numerous die cast molds processes.
Die casting is a manufacturing process that is commonly used for producing accurately dimensioned, sharply defined, smooth, or textured surface metal parts. It is accomplished by forcing molten metal under high pressure into reusable metal dies. The die casting molds process follows the subsequent procedures regarding die cast mold manufacturing:
- A mold is created in at least two sections to allow the proper removal of the casting.
- The sections are mounted securely within the machine and are arranged so that one is stationary while the other is moveable.
- The two are tightly clamped together.
- Molten metal is injected into the die cavity where it quickly solidifies.
- The die halves are drawn apart and the casting is ejected.
When compared with sand or permanent mold processes, HPDC (High Pressure Die Casting) is the fastest method in the industry for producing highly precise non-ferrous metal parts.
High Pressure Die Casting Mold Benefits
There are numerous advantages regarding the usage of die casting (or HPDC) process. At SKS Die Casting, we can provide you with die cast molds that match your design specifications. Some of the advantages and disadvantages of the HPDC molds process include the following:
HPDC Mold Advantages
- Net shape part configuration is achievable
- High dimensional accuracy is achievable
- Fast production
- Thinner walls are achievable when compared to investment and sand castings
- Wide range of possible shapes
- External threads can be casted
- Steel inserts can be over-molded
- Holes can be cored to internal tap drill size
HPDC Mold Disadvantages
- A relatively large production volume is required to make the process cost-effective. (However, SKS would work with customers ways to mitigate this shortcoming.)
- High initial cost (tool, set up)
- Minimum wall thickness: 0.040"
- Maximum wall thickness: 0.200". In some cases, acceptable up to 0.50"
- Draft radii and fillets required on the casting
- Potential porosity issue
Mold Materials for Die Casting
SKS Die Casting and Machining offers die casting dies for aluminum and zinc alloys: P-20, H-11, H-13, Premium Grade H13 (per NADCA No.229), Superior Grade H13 (per NADCA No. 229), or other grades as defined in NADCA No. 229. Additionally, SKS will guarantee 1 million shots tool life for tool making parts from zinc ZAMAK alloys and 100K shots tool life for tooling making parts from aluminum alloys.
Contact SKS Die Casting and Machining Regarding Our Aluminum and Zinc Alloy Die Casting Molds Today
SKS is your premier manufacturing source for die casting and machining since 1945.