Machining Services for Die Cast Parts
Castings bring a degree of difficulty to the machining process.
With die cast parts, you need to take the tolerances into account, and can't depend on the features being perfectly flat or perfectly smooth. Porosity inside heavier sections of die cast parts can be an issue, so you won't want to cut into them too deeply.
The design of the casting is critical for providing good flow and fill characteristics for the die casting and providing you with useful locating features and sufficient machine stock. If there's not enough machine stock designed in, you'll be scrapping parts after you've invested machining time into them.
At SKS, we provide quality die cast machining that meets your project requirements. Our reputation for expert engineering, design for manufacturability, superior process/quality control, and prompt deliveries makes us your trusted source for die cast part machining services.
Contact SKS Die Casting to inquire about our Die Cast Machining Services or Request a Quote today.
Choosing the Right Die Casting Machines and Equipment
There seems to be a lot of 'matrix buying out there' when you start a new project. Where are the datums? Where is the parting line? Which dimensions will be affected by PL (Parting Line), flatness? Another aspect is having quality-built fixtures to hold castings during machining. It is well worth the few dollars upfront to have dedicated quality-built fixtures. If you choose SKS, we have an extensive array of die casting machines and finishing equipment to meet your project needs.
Manual and CNC Machining Process Considerations
The type of machining process (manual or CNC machining) for your die cast parts must be considered well before any order for the tooling is released. A careful evaluation of machined requirements can lead to redesign for net shape die-casting or near-net shape with a reduced number of operations.
- Complete date: 3D CAD models and 2D drawings, quantity and all specs.
- Tolerances with focus on GD&T, flatness, porosity, and cosmetics.
- Die Cast and Machining Datums.
- Machining stock regardless of final tolerances and porosity specs.
- Surface treatment, such as Powder Coating (PC), Black Anodize and how this will impact tolerances.
- cast/machine/PC and masking or cast/PC (no masking) and machine.
- Black Anodized with tolerances under 0.001" hardly feasible to accomplish and different appearance compared with AL 6061 T6.
- Dimensional and cosmetic Inspection criteria.
- Parting Line and moving mold components affecting dimensional tolerances.
- Gate location and size in relation to porosity specs.
Contact Us About Our Die Casting Machining Services
At SKS, we are proud to provide manual and CNC machining, surface finishing, die casting mold development, and other die casting services. Contact Us to learn more about our machining services for die cast parts, or Request a Quote to get your die casting project started today.
SKS is your premier manufacturing source for die cast machining since 1945.